Friday, March 22, 2019

Premonition - We Are Metal


For years, the only Premonition track I had ever heard was their Ozzy cover; based on that and their other sensible cover choices, I assumed they were a standard '80s loving traditional metal band.  Then not too long ago I heard a song (from their first album, I think) that was unfortunately more like groove metal with gruff vocals.  Now as much as I disagree with some of King Fowley's intentionally inflammatory hyperbolic statements and the direction of Deceased since Fearless Undead Machines, I was very skeptical he'd release any shit like that on Old Metal.  I will be honest, though--the drummer's Pantera shirt had me somewhat worried.

Musically, this is close to what I originally expected--traditional HM with some slight power metal overtones.  The vocals seem to have some sort of unfortunate reverb effect applied that makes them sound unnatural and warbly, and they're generally a bit off-putting, especially in conjunction with some of the clumsier lyrical phrasings.  I actually tend to love unusual vocals in traditional metal (not just King Diamond and Nasty Ronnie crazyfalsettos, mind you--I actually actively seek out stuff like Living Death and Dark Wizard), but something seemed artificial about these.  I'm hesitant to make a comparison to vocals I actually enjoy, but my brain finds some slight similarities to Ape De Martini in approach.  There are also some hammy attempts to show "range" with lower vocals (including the aforementioned gruff ones) and some cringey falsettos.  I can dismiss the vocals on the originals as just an odd stylistic choice, but the singing actively brings down the Twisted Sister "S.M.F." cover, which would have been great otherwise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment